Sunday, January 10, 2010

Welcome to Photography In Place


 Introduction

"Your own photography is never enough. Every photographer who has lasted has depended on other people's pictures too--photographs that may be public or private, serious or funny, but that carry with them a reminder of community." Robert Adams - Why People Photograph

My name is Edd Fuller. I live in a rural area of central Virginia, not too far from Charlottesville. I started photographing with a Minolta SR7 in 1971 while stationed in Germany. There was a photo lab on the base where I learned to develop and print, and for me the end result of taking pictures is holding that print in my hands. Over the years, my involvement with photography has waxed and waned, based mostly on whether a darkroom was available.

In 2003, being without a darkroom, I bought my first digital camera and began learning to print in the digital "darkroom."

I photograph places close to home. The camera helps me see and appreciate where I live. The camera helps me develop a sense of place and allows me to put down visual roots.

At the close of 2009, I began reviewing my photographic work for the year, partly to figure out what had worked well for me during the year, and what had not. I found many things were coming together and working well, and I found lots of things that need improvement. And I realized that I wanted the opportunity to share my work and participate with a larger comunity of photographers.

And that is the impetus for Photography:In Place. I am mostly interested in pictures, and that will be the focus here. From time to time, I may write on things that interest me. I hope you enjoy reading and looking at pictures. Please feel free to comment. Thanks

12 comments :

  1. I wish you had a search feature so someone could enter the title of a signed photo and see if anything comes up rather than manualy search through hundreds of pertanent topics. Have you ever heard of "Ivy Hill Farm" ? What topic or theme does that series of pictures fall under? I cant find it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry, I have not heard of Ivy Hill Farm and do not have any pictures of it that I know of. Where is Ivy Hill Farm? All of the pictures of farms that I have on Photography in Place so far were taken in Greene and Madison counties, Virginia. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sorry Ed, Somehow I ended up on your blog page while researching a photo by A. Aubrey Bodine. My comments were in reference to the search features on the Bodine web site. Thanks Mike

    ReplyDelete
  4. Mike, no problem. Good luck with finding the Bodine picture and I hope you will visit here again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very nice blog! I discovered it recently. You really live in paradise. Your photos are full of peace and harmony.
    I live in a mega city of almost 15 million inhabitants in South America and go hiking in the mountains one thousand miles away whenever I have a chance.
    Regards.
    Diego

    ReplyDelete
  6. Diego, thanks for reading Photography in Place. I feel fortunate to live here. I would love to visit South America sometime. I guess every part of the world has something special to offer.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for commenting on my blog Edd, I've started to look through your photos (very good work by the way) and will be back for more.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks Robert, and best of luck to you--I hope you enjoy doing foto shoebox as much as I have enjoyed doing Photography In Place.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I enjoyed your series on Brookhaven. My grandfather used to work for the IC, and I remember riding down to Crystal Springs, Brookhaven w/ him on weekends. I've enjoyed looking at a lot of your other work too, esp a lot of the vernacular bldgs in VA.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks--we travel to Mississippi several times a year and enjoy visiting around the Brookhaven area. My wife's grandfather also worked for the Illinois Central.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Edd ... I found your site by accident this morning while searching for Tyrrell County images via Google, and happy I am that I found it! I'm a native of eastern NC, Washington County, currently residing in Richmond, VA. Your pictures speak to me of home. My family roots also lie in the Milltale Creek and Buffalo City area. I've always wanted to venture into the creek and visit the areas I've heard about but have never had the opportunity to do so. Thanks for sharing your images! I also love the Somerset and Richmond photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks for visiting--I have been fascinated with eastern North Carolina and plan to do a lot more photography in this area. It is a beautiful place.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.