Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Mare and colt - Northern Outer Banks, North Carolina 

The wild horses of North Carolina's northern Outer Banks are believed to be descendants of Spanish mustangs which arrived on ships in the early 16th century. The have roamed freely across the barrier islands for centuries, but the recent explosion of tourism and development has encroached on their habitat, making their future uncertain. Several groups, including the Corolla Wild Horse Fund are working to preserve the remaining herd.

I spotted this mare and young colt in heavy underbrush while hiking. Since I did not have a long lens with me, I did my best Natty Bumppo imitation trying to creep close enough to get some photographs. The horses spotted me right away and, unimpressed by my stalking ability, continued about their business completely unconcerned with my presence. 



The next day after visiting the wild horses, we were back at the Alligator River National Wildlife Refuge, where I had the opportunity to photograph an alligator. I will post pictures of this excursion tomorrow .

3 comments :

  1. Love these pictures Edd- what a great series. I'm enjoying your writing a lot too, and if you want a piece of unsolicited advice, "Horse Whisperer" sounds way better to a horse than "Horse Stalker" ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I stalked because I have no idea what one whispers to a horse. Truth is, I don't know nuttin 'bout horses.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love these shots Edd... and just to let you know I enjoy seeing all of your shots and writings. Thanks for sharing! Martha

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.