Wednesday, May 28, 2014

Not a pretty picture

George Washington National Forest - Augusta County, Virginia 

It was a beautiful morning in the mountains. The air was clear, the quiet broken only by the sound of birds. I was surrounded by the new colors of spring in the trees and the fresh scent of the woods. I was alone.

And then I came upon this: the remains of a campfire, a scorched tree trunk, scattered trash. I am not a misanthropic eco-purist inflexibly seeking to save the natural world from "human contamination." Nature should be enjoyed and appreciated. But it must also be respected. And the kind of disrespect pictured above is enough to bring out the misanthrope in me.


1 comment :

  1. I agree totally. It's a shame more people don't appreciate and respect nature. This is disgraceful.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.