South River Primitive Baptist Church - 1882
There are two church buildings extant in the small village of Browntown. A Union Church was built in 1882 to serve the Old School Baptists, the New School (Southern) Baptists, the Methodists and the Lutherans. Each denomination owned a quarter share of the building and worshiped there once a month. Today the Union Church is the home of the South River Primitive Baptist Church.
Henry T. Compton ran a bar room in Browntown but in 1896 his liquor license renewal was denied and he sold the lot and building to the Lutherans, who moved the bar room to the back of the lot and built a new church in 1897. The church building was purchased in 1943 by the Baptists and is now the Browntown Baptist Church.
Browntown Baptist Church - 1897