Tuesday, October 5, 2010

Country store - Madison County, Virginia 

 One thing leads to another . . .

A couple of weeks ago I set out to photograph the Oak Grove Baptist Church in Madison County, Virginia. I had seen pictures of the church, and although the building itself is unremarkable, there is an interesting history associated with the church dating back to the Civil War.

The map suggested that the church would be well lit in afternoon sun, and it would have been except that the church did not face the road as I expected. Instead, the side of the church was illuminated by the sun and the front was in deep shadow. It would be a morning shot for another day.

Driving on down the road, I was surprised to come upon the Mt. Zion Baptist Church, which I had never seen before. By now, the sun was getting low in the sky, but I stopped and took some photos. Quite by chance, Mt Zion became church number 31 in my series of 31 white wooden churches (see A Month of Sundays).

After photographing Mt. Zion, I consulted my map for a "short cut" that would be interesting and head me in the direction of home. On a road I had never before travelled, I came upon this old country store, illuminated by the last rays of the sun. I had about 5 minutes to photograph before the light was gone.

Things don’t always work out according to plan, but sometimes one thing leads to another, and we are rewarded with the unexpected.

Pentax MX - Fuji Neopan Acros 100

2 comments :

  1. Is that your shadow I see in the bottom left? I like it when that happens in a picture - it puts the photographer in the story he's telling.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes it is. I was aware of it when I was taking the picture but couldn't do much about it. The sun was very low and casting long shadows. I wondered if anyone would notice.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.