Monday, July 7, 2014

Art underfoot

Bath County, Virginia 

One of the most pleasant features of my stay at Douthat State Park last month was the small stream that ran behind my campsite. I fell asleep each night to the sound of water tumbling over the rocky stream-bed.

Before supper one afternoon, I climbed down the bank behind my trailer to the creek for a closer look. The water's edge was shady and green in the afternoon light. The wet rocks underfoot were slippery, and looking down to keep from falling, I began to see pictures among the rocks. The stream was lined with an up-tilted bed of what appeared to be shale along with water smooth rocks, mosses and ferns. I spent a happy half-hour photographing the colors and textures at my feet. Sometimes, it pays to look down.


Wilson Creek - My campsite is on top of the high bank to the right.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.