Thursday, August 21, 2014

Mountain Top

George Washington National Forest - Augusta County, Virginia 

I took this photograph one morning earlier this year in the George Washington National Forest. It is what I think of as a "record shot." I was there; this is what I saw. Photos like this are not intended to be scenic, or beautiful, or artistic. It is quite an ordinary photograph and not particularly interesting, yet over the last couple of months I have returned to it again and again.

Yes, it reminds me of that day as I walked all alone along the top of a ridge in the cool mountain air and the silence, but to me, it is more than just a memory. For some reason this photograph has the power to carry me back to the distant, wordless emotion that I felt that spring morning. Smells can do that sometimes.  It is a smell photograph. No one can smell it but me.



0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.