Tuesday, March 2, 2010

January 2007 - Greene County, Virginia

February 2010 - Greene County, Virginia

Last Saturday afternoon, I ran out to take a few photos of the Westover Church featured in this post. Over the past few years, I have photographed this church and its surroundings several times.

As I walked around the grounds of the church, I suddenly realized that something was missing. An old, abandoned house once stood in the pasture field below the church. It is gone, collapsed into a low pile of rubble with the roof resting on top. Perhaps the weight of recent heavy snows brought it down.

There was nothing particularly remarkable about this old house. I don't know when it was built, or who lived in it, or why it was abandoned. I don't even know when it fell in, but I am glad to have photographs of it still standing in this place.

How often do we see something interesting and think that later we will come back and take a photograph? The weight of time eventually brings everything down. Don't wait too long.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.