Thursday, March 18, 2010

Posted - Greene County, Virginia 

Field Notes: Carte blanche

What I want is an official writ that declares to one and all that I, for the purpose of taking pictures, have unrestricted and free access to all property, both public and private, throughout the land. Unfortunately there is no one to grant me such a photographer's carte blanche.

Parks and other public land is usually accessible, but the things that I find most interesting, old buildings, for example, are most often on private land.  More and more, the countryside is becoming inaccessible. Fences, no trespassing signs, and occasionally an unfriendly dog work together to restrict photographic opportunities. What one sees from the roadway is about all one gets to see.

The answer to this dilemma is not easy for me. I respect the rights of property owners and do not knowingly trespass. I find it hard to approach people for permission and often it is impossible to find someone to ask.

I would be interested your thoughts on the subject.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.