Tuesday, April 13, 2010

Buchanan, Virginia - Johnson Family Residence - circa 1936

To the best of my knowledge, this photo was taken by a member of my family, probably Aunt Laura, around 1936. That is my grandfather in the middle with his hat on his knee. My mother is the blond-headed girl on the left, half in and half out of the frame. It would be another ten years before she would marry and I would come along.

The remarkable thing about this photo is that it is so utterly familiar to me even though it was taken years before I was born. It almost seems like I was there on the day this picture was taken.

In later years, I visited my grandparents' house many times. I remember the porch, the rooms behind the two doors, the kitchen on the other side of the house, all with a vividness completely out of proportion to the amount of time I actually spent there. I remember sleeping in the attic room behind the dormer windows above the porch, and the rain on the tin roof.

Sometimes a photograph seems to combine with our own experience, our own sense of a place, to create phantom memories. Looking at this picture, I somehow remember that Sunday afternoon on the porch with my family. I can almost hear Aunt Laura say "take off your hat, Daddy, so I can take your picture."

My grandparents died in 1963 and the place was sold. A few years later, the house burned down. The last time I drove by, a house trailer was sitting in just about the same place as the porch was in this photograph.

3 comments :

  1. It's interesting to hear you share your thoughts about this picture Edd. Because I came along so many years later and never knew our grandparents, I don't have a connection to the photo the way you do but I still find it fascinating. I think my favorite remains the picture of granddad Johnson with his dog, with the shadow of the photographer in the foreground :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where in Buchanan is was this located?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Taylor, this house was located on Route 43 about 1 mile or so from Buchanan, right on the edge of the George Washington National Forest. The house was on the left side of the road if you were headed up the mountain, just opposite where Pico Road turns off. The house is no longer there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.