Friday, August 13, 2010

Country store on Sunday afternoon - 1939 - Dorothea Lange

This photo was taken by Dorothea Lange in July of 1939 in Gordonton, North Carolina for the Farm Security Administration. Scenes like this, once common throughout the South, would soon disappear forever. After World War II, the accelerating consumer culture in the United States would leave these country stores and social gathering places in the dust of history.

Next week I will have pictures from another overnight trip on the Potomac River, including a visit to Colonial Beach, Virginia. I hope you will stop by.

Photo Credit: Library of Congress # LC-USF34- 019911-E

2 comments :

  1. That's where my daughter Heidi lives. She is out here visiting right now, but said to drop by the Tides Inn Market.

    We love your pictures.

    Dorene

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dorene--your daughter lives in Colonial Beach? At first I thought you meant that she lives in North Carolina, but I see that there is a Tides Inn Market in Colonial Beach, so I guess that is what you mean. I have visited Colonial Beach many times over the years and always enjoy going there. Will be posting some pictures next week from my trip there last Saturday.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.