Monday, June 4, 2012

Baby Jim's Snack Bar

Culpeper, Virginia 

A couple of weeks ago my wife and I had to go to Culpeper, which is about 35 minutes north of us. I carried along my Pentax MX camera loaded with Fuji Acros 100  film. I have passed by Baby Jim's sign many times and decided that I would finally get a photo of it. You never know when it will be too late.

While I was taking pictures of Baby Jim's, a man came up to me and introduced himself. He said his father started Baby Jim's in the late 1940s and the sign dates from around 1953. The business is still in the family.

I didn't have much time that day, but did take some more black and white photos around town with the old Pentax, and we will be looking at them this week.

4 comments :

  1. Great old sign, works in b&w very well. The traffic is a nice touch and it will be fun to look at the cars 25 years from now.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Robert. I would like to go back and get a color picture of this as well. The pastel colors of the sign are very 50s looking as well.

      Delete
  2. My sister and brother in law live in Culpeper....I get there for the Thanksgiving holiday....but I must say, it would be a great place to live. I too love the black and white much better but agree also, for historical value,a color photo would be helpful. Great picture and thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Black and white still has something about it that color lacks, although I can't quite put my finger on it. Culpeper is a great little town and I hope to spend some more time photographing there. Thanks for reading Photography in Place.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.