Thursday, June 14, 2012

Herons on Monkey Island

Currituck County, North Carolina 

Great Blue Herons (Ardea herodias) are common along the Potomac River and occasionally one will visit the lake where I live, but I had never seen either of the two species of heron in the picture above before visiting Monkey Island. (I did not see any Great Blue Herons on the island.)

The Tricolored Heron (Egretta tricolor), pictured on the left above, is listed in my older Peterson Field Guide as the Louisiana Heron. The name was officially changed in 1983 to Tricolored Heron to eliminate the local reference to a bird that ranges up and down the eastern seaboard and all the way into Central America.

The Little Blue Heron (Egretta caerulea), coming in for a landing on the left, is much smaller than the Great Blue Herons which I am familiar with. They make themselves right at home in egret colonies.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.