Thursday, July 12, 2012

Dave's Barber Shop

Richmond, Virginia 

Looking in the window of Dave's Barber Shop at the elaborate, old-fashioned barber chairs, I remembered Saturday afternoon haircuts with my Dad when I was a boy in the 1950s..On a hot July day, the ballgame would be on the radio while I browsed through dog-eared copies of Life and Look and Saturday Evening Post, waiting to climb into the big chair and get my 25 cents crew cut.

I would have liked to step inside for a few moments, but it was the 4th of July and the shop was closed.
The sign in the lower right of the window (which through inattention I partially cut off in the picture) says "Estd 1923."


4 comments :

  1. Nice series Edd. We had Popular Mechanics and some hunting magazine to leaf through while waiting for that "brushcut". Is that a cobblestone road?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Robert, I expect there were a few copies of Field & Stream or Outdoor Life scattered around the shop as well.

      I don't think that street is cobblestone; more like some kind of brick pavers. This is a very old section of town, and in many ways remarkably intact, if a bit run-down.

      Delete
  2. Nice shots Edd, I was mistaken on the trouble commenting, it was another blog. I apologize. I too love this series of photos.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Don--I really appreciate your comments and am glad that you are able to comment here.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.