Saturday, April 18, 2015

Saturday morning

Greene County, Virginia 

"April is the cruelest month" - T.S. Eliot

Spring is not always idyllic. Earlier this week I walked down the lake. In the woods ATVs had cut ugly swaths through the carpet of moss and running pine. No spring wild-flowers brightened the forest floor. The sky was overcast and the lake was muddy brown from the recent rains. I sat down on a log at the edge of the lake and looked out over the brown water at a forlorn bench perched precariously on a sagging dock.

Two geese suddenly rose from the water and circled overhead, their flight strong and true against the gray clouds. Then they were gone, and I walked back into the woods to see what I could see. Spring doesn't last very long.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.