Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Coca-Cola - Orange, Virginia

This Coca-Cola sign in the town of Orange is in remarkably good condition, but I do not know how old it is. Perhaps because of my background in printing and the graphic arts, I particularly enjoy photographing signs. And since I also like to photograph old buildings, signs on old buildings are one of my favorite subjects.

The juxtaposition of graphic and architectural elements often give signs painted on buildings an unexpected twist, like the window which is carefully worked into the design of this Coca-Cola sign.  Even though it seems to contribute nothing to the message, the window is perfectly at home in this sign. "Take some home today" simply wouldn't be the same without it.

1 comment :

  1. closed down early 1980s. I remember boing there to Busbee when i was a boy for toys and candy.. thank you for those memmories!

    Leonard H

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.