Monday, February 28, 2011

Changing weather - Greene County, Virginia 

Last Friday morning a warm front pushed its way over the mountains, bringing fast moving clouds mixed with bits of blue sky and sun. Light and shadow played in the distance, briefly illuminating mountain ridge and valley. For about thirty minutes the sky over the Blue Ridge was a constantly changing show and I stood on the front deck and took picture after picture of the wonderful scene. As is usual, when I got the pictures loaded in the computer and reviewed them on screen, there were only one or two that even came close to expressing what I saw. But picture or no picture, I am glad I spent the time looking. It made my day.


3 comments :

  1. I love to see the change in weather as well. One time Terri and I were up in Rocky Mtn National Park and the weather changed so much from the time we drove 10 minutes that we went from sunny to cloudy to an actual hail storm.

    By the time we got back to our campsite, it was nice again...but you can never tell and only marvel at how incredible and unpredictable the weather can be.

    And we agree..you can never fully capture how beautiful nature is..you can just be in awe of it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's a difficult scene to expose for, and you have a few good shots from it. Are those trees in the near distance starting to leaf out? there is a tinge of green if I am seeing it correctly. If so spring is almost here!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dorene--sometimes photos can add drama to a scene, but most often, for me anyway, photographs manage to diminish rather than enhance nature. And you are right about how localized changes in the weather can be. I find it amusing when a TV weather person stands in front of a map of the US and sweeps his hand across the entire eastern seaboard and talks about what the weather is going to do.

    Robert-nothing much here is leafing out except the winter jasmine, which is starting to bloom. The tinge of green is most likely swollen buds--spring can't be too far off.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.