Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Dixon's - Edwards, Mississippi

Several scenes for the movie O Brother, Where Art Thou were filmed in and around Edwards, including the very last scene in the movie. Some movie magic is involved as the characters walk down the street in this scene. The first buildings they pass do not exist in Edwards but when they reach the building with the Dixon's sign, pictured above as it appeared in 2007, they are in Edwards and the rest of the movie takes place in town.




The old wooden bridge over the railroad tracks in the center background of the movie's final shot (filmed in 1999) was torn down in 2006 and replaced with a new bridge. When I took the picture below in 2007, construction of the new bridge was almost complete. To the right of bridge is the Queen Anne style Alonso James Lewis house, which was built around 1895 and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places.

7 comments :

  1. Enjoyed seeing your photos of these locations from the movie. That was a good movie too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robert. When I was in Edwards that day I had seen the movie but didn't realize that they had filmed there. I later read somewhere that Edwards was in the movie and when I watched "O Brother . . ." again, I recognized the location, particularly the Dixon's sign. I really wish I had a good picture of the old bridge before it was torn down.

    Anyway, you are right--it was a good movie; one of the few that I have watched more than once.

    ReplyDelete
  3. My Mom's family lived in the old house when it was owned by the Pennabakers. We visited often when I was a kid. I still dream of it. It was huge, full of rooms with furniture covered in sheets. It is a special place.

    ReplyDelete
  4. George, it looks like a wonderful house--you are fortunate to have been able to visit. So often I wonder about these old places and what they were like, and it is great to hear from someone who has been there

    ReplyDelete
  5. Dr McGinnis now owns the old A.J. Lewis home in Edwards. I visut with them often and have toured the entire house countless of times. I was amazed that the home is still intact and still holds the charm of days gone by. I have several photos over a span of 10 years and not much has changed. I hated to see the old A. J. Lewis merchant store be demolished earlier this year but thanks to Dr. McGinnis I will still be able to take a walk thru history at what we call the " yellow house". A. J. Lewis was said to have been the first milliinaire of Hinds Co.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks--it is good to know that this piece of history is being well taken care of.

      Delete
  6. The old A.J. Lewis is now owbed by Dr. McGinnis. I visited with him and his lovely wife and was granted a tour. The house is still as it was in 1895, with only just a few renovations that I noticed. Several pictures throughout the home are of the Lewis family.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.