Monday, March 7, 2011

Early blooming spirea - Greene County, Virginia

I sometimes think that raking leaves could be an indication that we are not living the life nature intended for us.

A wife, on the other hand, tends to believe that not raking leaves is a sign that one is not living the life she intends, and so I found myself raking leaves a couple of days ago. It was a sunny afternoon and the temperature was in the low 50s, ideal for working outdoors. As I picked up dead branches that had been pruned from the trees by winter storms and raked back the leaves from the cold ground, the first tiny signs of spring appeared. The bridal wreath  (spirea) was covered in bright green buds, and on the south side of the bush a dozen or so tiny white blossoms had opened.

A tiny blue wild-flower nestled in the grass caught my eye as I was raking. On my hands and knees I looked for more, but there was only one, the first tiny blue flower of spring. I don't know what it is called.

In a couple of hours the back yard was clean, the brown grass combed and the leaves raked into a large pile. The bare ground looked cold without its blanket of leaves, and I went back into the warm house hoping that spring would not be late this year

Winter Jasmine

3 comments :

  1. Love those photos Edd, they reassure me that Spring should arrive this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, I was just looking at your "Early March" pictures on Fotoshoebox and I have to say that we are further on to spring than you appear to be. However, when I got up this morning, I was suprised to see the mountains covered with snow. March can be a month of set-backs but spring is coming--it always does.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your right ,it always arrives, but we are about 6-8 weeks behind your weather from the look of those pictures.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.