Thursday, March 31, 2011

Abandoned house - Albemarle County, Virginia 

Most often abandoned houses are found on back roads and out-of-the-way places, but this old house stands just a few yards from Route 29, the busy four-lane divided highway that is the main north/south route in this area. I drive past it every day going to and from work.

The house is so overgrown that in the summer it is almost completely hidden by the foliage, and even in the winter it is easy to miss. It was a substantial old house, capable of housing a large family in comfort and some style. It was built on a field-stone foundation and the chimneys are also stone. The construction suggest that it was built in the first decades of the twentieth century, or perhaps even earlier . In its current state of neglect, it is doubtless beyond repair, but yet it is hard to imagine why such a substantial building has been left to the elements.

It was raining when I drove by yesterday, and and the faded house was just visible in the brown weeds. A lone forsythia was blooming in the yard.

8 comments :

  1. One stands in Southern Ohio on Rt. 104 --- very similar tot his one. I always wanted it --- would have loved to make it home, but I watched it over thirty years, age and fall apart. Family wouldn't sell or let anything be done with it. Sad really, I would have filled it with music, art, and lots of wildflowers ;)

    Beautiful Photos, Thank-You ~♥~

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Maddy. I agree it is sad to see houses like this neglected and slowly falling apart. One of the more distressing symptoms of our throw-away society, I'm afraid.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Abandoned homes fascinate me, and I always wonder what the story is behind each one.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Dory, a good job for a forensic historian, or a novelist. I am trying to think of a work of literature that takes off from an abandoned house. Can you think of any?

    ReplyDelete
  5. HOLY COW! I almost took a photo of this house on the same day! Were you following me ;) Just kidding. I found your site while searching something about Greene County. Great photos!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Soccer Mom--I know what you mean. I have passed this house for years meaning to take a picture--finally figured I better do it before the house falls in. Thanks for visiting--hope you will stop by again.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always wonder what the story is with old houses like this...Imagine my surprise to find out my family owns one. Now my brother and I are in discussions about what to do with it....

    ReplyDelete
  8. It seems to me that you and your brother have some difficult decisions to make, particularly if there is family history tied up in the old house. Good luck to you.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.