Tuesday, March 29, 2011

Public School No. 18 -  Fauquier County, Virginia 

This is the last one-room schoolhouse in Fauquier County. After the Civil War, the Virginia constitution provided for the establishment of free public schools and schoolhouse #18 was built in 1887 near the town of Marshall. It was closed in 1963. The building has been restored and is listed on the National Register of Historic Places as a Virginia Historic Landmark.

This picture of the school in a state of neglect was taken around 1973. That's my oldest daughter in the lower corner of the frame. I probably fussed at her for getting in my picture, but now, of the several shots I have of this old building, this is my favorite. It is one of the few time she looked eager to go to school.

3 comments :

  1. Very nice Edd, and your daughter adds to this shot in my opinion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robert, and yes she does--it is interesting how the years change the way we look at photographs, and what we find important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well...what can I say, I never did find school very exciting. If, however, I had gotten to go to this cute little school with a few cute little friends, maybe I would have shown this kind of excitement in my latter years. Funny how much things change in such a short amount of time. We call it progress, but...sometimes, I am not so sure.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.