Friday, September 16, 2011

In this place: Pearisburg, Virginia

Giles County Courthouse - Pearisburg, Virginia 

Pearisburg was founded in 1806 on 53 acres located on a terrace between the foot of Angel's Rest mountain and the New River. The Federal style courthouse was constructed in 1836 and is the second oldest surviving building in town. The central portion of the building is the original courthouse. The flanking wings and Corinthian portico were later additions.

Angel's Rest

The First National Bank of Pearisburg was built in 1906-07 in the Romanesque style on the corner of North Main Street and Wenonah Avenue. The monumental arch on the front of the building is echoed by large arched windows on the side. The building now houses a restaurant. Next door is a wood frame commercial and residential building dating from early in the 20th century. Angel's Rest is in the background.

As I drove out of town and headed home, I thought about all of the happy memories of my family and my own childhood that my visit had stirred up. And I missed a place and a time that are now lost lost and gone. They say you can't go home again, but sometimes a place makes you feel closer. Pearisburg is that place for me.
 
Thanks for reading Photography In Place.

With the exception of the two pictures from the 1940s, all of the photographs were taken on a single afternoon's visit to Pearisburg using the digital Pentax K10D and the Pentax MX loaded with Fuji Neopan 100 black and white film. 

5 comments :

  1. Looks like a movie set it is so perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Don, the whole town is neat and clean, but the courthouse is exceptionally well maintained.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Edd, I've enjoyed this series on Pearisburg for many reasons. What a terrific town name -- it would make a great title for a novel or movie.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Dory--I enjoyed working on this--it brought back many pleasant memories.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ahhh, there's the bank. When I was little, I had aspirations of turning it into my house one day!! I keep telling my husband that one day soon we will return to hike Angel's Rest. I, like you, have little left in the town, with grandparents having passed on and parents moving south, and I think your sentiment says it all, you can't go home again, but a visit back through is almost close enough. Thanks again!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.