Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Mushroom - Greene County, Virginia 

Monday morning, in the rain, I spotted this mushroom growing alone on the border of the flower garden. I have a mushroom field guide of some 500 pages, but positive identification of this specimen eluded me. The closest I could come was Panaeolus Campanulatus.

No common name was given, but the etymology is from the Latin for "bell shaped", which seems particularly unhelpful, since there are hundreds of vaguely bell shaped mushrooms. It was a delicate and lovely mushroom though, and if anyone has a more positive identification, I would be glad to hear it. In the meantime I am calling it the "Virginia Brown Button."

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.