Friday, December 16, 2011

Chesapeake and Ohio GP7

Clifton Forge, Virginia

In yesterday's post I mentioned that the C&O locomotive posed on the top level of Richmond's triple crossing was an EMD GP 7. The GP 7 in the photo above was built in 1952, just a year before the locomotive in the triple crossing picture. I made this photograph last spring at the Chesapeake and Ohio Railway Heritage Center in Clifton Forge, Virginia.

While we are on the subject of railroads, in the current edition of the Photographers' Railroad Page, J. P. Bell has an outstanding photograph of a steam train in the middle of a Wyoming winter. Pictures of trains are often unimaginative (see the photo above), but Mr. Bell's photo is truly different--a real visual treat even if you are not a fan of rail photography. Be sure to take a look.

Finally, I will mention that I have some more interesting railroad photographs from the batch of old prints I unearthed at the Richmond Book Shop last week, and I will be sharing them in the coming weeks. Look for another after the first of the year, this time a steam locomotive in action.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.