Tuesday, December 13, 2011

Richmond Book Shop

Richmond, Virginia 

Last week my wife and I drove to Richmond for an "outing" and a bit of shopping. Even though I am in Richmond periodically for my job, I have never done any photography while there, so I carried my Nikon P7000 point and shoot camera with me just in case. The light was good and I managed to sneak in a couple of shots as we went around town.

One of our stops was the Richmond Book Shop. Virginia Commonwealth University has been expanding and building in this area along West Broad Street for the past 10 years, and many of the old buildings have been torn down or extensively renovated. The block where Richmond Book Shop resides has not been touched by this renovation and the old buildings still stand, somewhat messy but much more interesting than the newly upscale neighbors.

Inside the book store, I came across a box of old photographs, and in going through them found several interesting prints of railroad subjects, including a photo of Richmond's famous triple crossing, which I will be posting about later.




4 comments :

  1. The old architecture is more appealing than the current trend, where details like wood window and doors with trim work and brick are discarded in favor of aluminum, glass and stucco.
    Those old photos were a good find Edd, looking forward to seeing them.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robert. I agree that it is a shame to see the old buildings go--too bad that no one seems to care about restoring and preserving some of these commercial buildings that would seem to have little or no historic value today. At some point in the future, we are likely to regret the loss. Certainly the buildings that replace them often have little to offer in the way of appeal to the eye.

    ReplyDelete
  3. The P7000 does a fantastic job. It's great having a P&S to carry with you and they do a wonderful job; just like these photos you did.

    I'd be lost if I didn't carry one with me (G11). It's my carry all the time camera. Of course, it takes an experienced photographer to get great images from a P&S.

    Just like you did with these... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Glenn--I have enjoyed the P7000 and carry it with me most of the time. At web sizes, there is little to choose between the quality of the P7000 files and the files from the Pentax K10D, and on a day out with my wife, the Pentax is just too much to drag around.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.