Sunday, January 15, 2012

Third Sunday - January 2012

Pembroke, Virginia

Last spring, after visiting Pearisburg, I stopped in Pembroke for a few minutes, hoping to find that the train station was still standing. Pembroke is in Giles County, Virginia just a few miles from Pearisburg. The train station is gone, but I came across this church and was attracted to the somewhat unusual architecture and the large square steeple. As I was taking pictures, I saw a person walking down the street and asked her about the church. She said that there was someone living in the church but she knew nothing of the history of the church, or when services were last held.

There was an old car in front of the building and toys scattered around the yard. The signboard was blank and the church was a bit run-down but appeared quite sound. Unfortunately, further research has failed to turn up anything about the history of the old church. I would like to know more, for it is certainly one of the most interesting white wooden churches that I have come across.

4 comments :

  1. That is one handsome structure. The detail work is well suited to the design. Nice find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, yes it is always a pleasure to stumble upon things like this.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love old churces like that and whould like it better if they let me metal detect around it without leaving it a mess and splitting some of the finds.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Don, I had never really thought about it but I bet churches would be fertile ground for exploring with a metal detector.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.