Tuesday, March 27, 2012

Early Blooming Dogwood

Dismal Swamp State Park - South Mills, North Carolina 

Last week I had the opportunity to spend four days in coastal North Carolina, roaming south as far as Swan Quarter and north to the Great Dismal Swamp at the Virginia/North Carolina border. The weather was warm and sunny, and spring was well underway so that I had to keep reminding myself that it is March and not May.

By Sunday afternoon  the weather had cooled some and it was raining off and on. The photo above is the very last shot of the trip, taken near the Great Dismal Swamp as I was on my way home. I will be posting more pictures from this North Carolina trip next week.

2 comments :

  1. What a curious name, is that the official name or what the locals call it? I wish we had more dogwood trees growing wild here, most are the cultivated variety. Nicely done Edd.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is the official name. I am not sure of the origins of the name, but it has been called Dismal Swamp since colonial times. George Washington was involved in founding Dismal Swamp Company to drain the swamp for agricultural purposes in the late 18th century.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.