Monday, March 12, 2012

The last of winter

While sitting in traffic near Ruckersville - Greene County, Virginia

Snow started falling in the early morning hours of March 5th. When I left for work, there was about an inch on the ground, but conditions deteriorated rapidly and by the time I got to Ruckersville, traffic was at a crawl on the slick, untreated road. It was snowing hard and accumulating fast and my commute, which normally takes twenty-five minutes, lasted over two hours.

By mid morning some areas in the county had nearly ten inches of snow on the ground, but by early afternoon the roads were clear and by the end of the day the snow was mostly gone. By the end of the week, temperatures were reaching into the low seventies.

That's the way these things go in March, when spring is just around the corner and old man winter is on his way out.

5 comments :

  1. Snowfall can be nice as long as you don't have to drive. When you can get a photo like that while waiting in traffic, it doesn't seem so troublesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was a lovely snow and I was glad to see it in spite of the temporary inconvenience. And I was glad that I had a camera with me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful image, Edd. You see things that most people would just ignore and drive by. Good eye and nice catch... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Glenn. Traffic was moving so slowly that morning that I had plenty of time to look.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.