Thursday, April 5, 2012

2012 Opening Day

Cedar Grove, North Carolina

Play Ball!

At one time many small towns throughout rural America fielded baseball teams. Dorothea Lange made this photograph in 1939 while photographing in North Carolina for the Farm Security Administration. Her caption for the photo reads:
"Fourth of July, near Chapel Hill, North Carolina. Rural filling stations become community centers and general loafing grounds. The men in the baseball suits are on a local team which will play a game nearby. They are called the Cedargrove Team."
Library of Congress  - LC-USF34-020010-E

5 comments :

  1. Great shot, for me the photographers from that time never took a bad shot. I plan to watch the Tigers-Red Sox game this afternoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing this. I love these simple type pictures, they are the ones that really speak to me. I often like to make up stories about what they are doing! I hope that doesn't sound too silly or weird of me.

    ReplyDelete
  3. L.M., making up stories about photos is not silly at all. I do it all the time and it is one of the things that I love about photography.

    Robert, I agree, many of these photographers are amazingly consistent. Enjoy the game.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great picture. It's what opening day is all about.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ed, you are right. Despite all of the changes in baseball over the years, there is still something special about opening day.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.