Thursday, January 10, 2013

A winter walk in the Dismal Swamp #4

Great Dismal Swamp, Suffolk, Virginia 

After heavy rains a couple of days before we arrived in the Dismal Swamp, the water was high in many areas and several times we had to put a log across a flooded path in order to continue. I was carrying the telephoto lens in my coat pocket "just in case" and while jumping across a puddle, the lens fell out and landed half in and half out of the water. I plucked it out of the water and dried it off as quickly as I could. Fortunately no water got in the contacts on the rear of the lens, but there was water inside the front element. I was afraid that this lens was doomed, but I after I got home, I put the lens in a zip-lock bag with a couple of cups of rice and after a few days, the lens was perfectly dry and functional. Lesson learned.




4 comments :

  1. Good move with the lens. I wouldn't have thought of the rice trick.

    That first shot of the grass and the reflection of the trees in the water is especially nice. Captures the Swamp's mood well!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I wouldn't have thought of the rice trick either without a little help from Google :) But it worked like a charm.

      Delete
    2. Wonder what all that tannin did to the lens! :-)

      Delete
    3. Ah, now I can take nice sepia toned pictures!

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.