Monday, June 17, 2013

Bodie Island Light Revisited #1

Dare County, North Carolina 

When I last visited Bodie Island, (see here,) the lighthouse  was in the final stages of restoration. Workers were busy reinstalling the first-order Fresnell lens that had been removed for cleaning and preparations were underway for the April 19th opening. For the first time since the lighthouse began operation in 1872 the public would be allowed to climb to the top.

In May, I had the opportunity to revisit the light. The buildings and grounds were in pristine condition. While I walked around the grounds to take a few pictures, my friend went into the light-keepers quarters to get tickets for the tour of the lighthouse. There were quite a few people waiting to climb the lighthouse even though it was a cool Tuesday well before the summer season crowds arrive on the Outer Banks.

Stop by on Wednesday for the view from the top.


2 comments :

  1. Looks much improved since I visited last year and when it was encased in scaffolding.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, it really looks great now. I can't imagine it looked any better on the day that it was completed in 1872.

      Delete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.