The oldest part of this building dates to around 1835. Alfred Rector built the building as a store and warehouse. Later additions made room for a railroad depot and post office. During the Civil War, the building was used as a Federal Prison and graffiti scratched on the walls by prisoners is still visible.
This building is a rare example of an early 19th century stone commercial building with much of its interior intact.