Monday, April 25, 2011

Mountain View - Giles County, Virginia 

Traveling home from Mississippi a couple of weeks ago, I took a detour through Giles County, which is in the mountains of southwestern Virginia.  My goal was to visit Guinea Mountain, where my grandfather preached in the early 1950s at the Mountain View Methodist Church. I was last there forty-some years ago.

As you drive up Guinea Mountain Road a roadside sign indicates that you have arrived in the community of Mountain View. There is not much there now except for the church, a cemetery and a couple of houses. Mountain View is aptly name, for there are beautiful views of the surrounding mountains, and the place is quiet and secluded.

Tomorrow, I will have more to say about my grandfather and the Mountain View Methodist Church, which is still standing.

The picture above was taken from the parking lot of the church, looking to the west along Guinea Mountain Road.

3 comments :

  1. Nice one Edd, makes me want to sit on that front porch with my coffee.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Robert. It was a very peaceful place. Coffee on the porch sounds good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm looking forward to your "story" tomorrow. Glad you were able to make the trip there.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.