Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Mrs. Anita Howard in the kitchen of the Howard Hotel - Rowlesburg, West Virginia 

Mountain State Stories

In 1975, Kevin Scanlon traveled to Rowlesburg, West Virginia to photograph trains along the Baltimore and Ohio's Mountain Subdivision. The story of the trip and the stay in the Howard Hotel is beautifully told in "Mountain State Stories--Rowlesburg, Rooms 9 & 10."  Kevin writes:

"My photography at the time was almost exclusively trains, but something inside me made me ask, 'Do you mind if I take your picture?' 'Oh, but I’m a mess right now.' 'No you’re not, you look beautiful.' I raised the camera and pressed the shutter. Mrs. Howard was sitting at the spot where she ran the hotel, the large wooden work table in the kitchen. . . . the aftermath of the breakfast preparation all around her."

Don't miss this story on The Photographers' Railroad Page. 

Photo: Copyright by Kevin Scanlon, all rights reserved. Used by permission.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.