Monday, June 27, 2011

Along the tracks - Elkton, Virginia 

On an overcast Friday toward the end of April, I drove west into the mountains, crossed the Skyline Drive and descended the western slopes of the Blue Ridge into the town of Elkton. I drive through Elkton frequently, but seldom stop. On this spring day, I had my camera and the whole afternoon to explore the town.

Elkton is located on the South Fork of the Shenandoah River. The town was known as Conrad's Store until the Shenandoah Valley Railroad arrived in 1881, built a passenger depot and named it Elkton after nearby Elk Run. The town took the name of the depot, and was incorporated as Elkton in 1908.

The Norfolk Southern Railroad still runs through Elkton, but the passenger station is gone. The group of buildings along the tracks in the photo above suggest that the railroad played a large role in the history of Elkton.

4 comments :

  1. The overcast really adds some depth to the shot. I always enjoy hearing how places got their names too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. GREAT photo of the town...love it. Looks like it goes on forever...and I know it doesn't since I've been there too. You have a great eye!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like the Elkton material, and you certainly made good use of the soft, open, light.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks, Carl. Having nice light sure makes it a lot easier.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.