Wednesday, June 1, 2011

South End Convenience - Town of Shenandoah, Virginia 

The first picture of the day is always the hardest. This little convenience store caught my attention as I drove into Shenandoah; there was a parking lot conveniently located across the street and  I stopped. A light rain was falling. I sat in the car for a moment, reluctant to get out in the rain but I knew that if I did not start photographing, I would end up turning around a driving home empty handed.

The building looks like it may have been built in the 1950s but I know nothing of the history of this store except that it reminds me of the small stores I remember growing up with. 

Later that afternoon, the rain stopped. Sunlight broke through the clouds and swept the valley floor, the rain-washed air was cool and clear and the mountain tops were shrouded in mist. I took pictures until it was too dark to see.

2 comments :

  1. It's sad coming home empty handed, I'm glad you persevered, the result was worth it. That style of building could be from earlier, I worked in a similar building and it was built in 1928.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, I think you could be right about the date of the building. When I first saw it I was thinking 1930s, but then changed my mind.

    I should have gone in and asked, although it was probably unlikey that anyone would know anything about the building, but you never know.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.