Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Last of the evening light  - Nikon P7000 

Two weeks ago I bought a new point and shoot camera to replace my aging Nikon Coolpix 4300 which I bought in 2003 and has served me well for eight years. While the majority of my photography is done with the Pentax K10D digital SLR, I use the point and shoot when it is not practical to carry around the larger and heavier DSLR.

An optical viewfinder was a necessity, because I frequently use the camera in very bright outdoor conditions and the LCD screen is just not useable under those conditions. I also wanted a relatively small and portable camera, capable of shooting in RAW mode, and with a reasonably long lens suitable for some limited wildlife shots, particularly when I am out on the river. So in the end, my choices boiled down to the Nikon P7000 and the Canon G12.

Nikon P7000 in RAW mode and processed in Adobe Lightroom 3.

After reading up on the two camera, there did not seem to be much difference so I visited ProCamera, here in Charlottesville for a hands-on comparison.  I liked the articulated screen on the Canon, but the Nikon had a longer zoom range. Bill Moretz, the owner and resident expert at ProCamera said that one could not go wrong with either camera, and after looking at both cameras I believed him. In the end, I choose the Nikon because it felt better in my hand and I liked the layout of the controls better (it was on sale too, which helped).

So far I have only had time to take a few test pictures, but I am quite satisfied with the quality of the pictures from the P7000. Tomorrow I will have more to say about my first impressions of this camera.

Nikon P7000 - This is a jpg straight from the camera with no editing


0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.