Sunday, June 19, 2011

My father  - Pearisburg, Virginia 

Father's Day - 2011

This picture dates from about 1953. The young man is my father: the little boy, who appears to be tickled about something, is me. My dad may have just said something funny; he got that deadpan look on his face when he said something funny.

I don't remember the occasion, but the place is Farley's Wayside*, which is about 10 miles from Pearisburg, Virginia on Route 100, just at the foot of Cloyd's Mountain. The wayside was a large grassy area with picnic tables along Walker's Creek.  Back in the 1950s, the two lane road turned sharply just before you crossed the old trestle bridge, and it was famous for crashes.

Nothing made me happier than a picnic at the wayside.


*Somehow I imagine Mom calling me on the phone and saying, "No, honey, that picture was taken in West Virginia. Don't you remember?"

2 comments :

  1. What a great pic...love the glimpses of your life as a child :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is hard to imagine your parents as children, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.