This old stone house and store was built in 1840 at the base of Maryland Heights just across the Potomac River from Harper's Ferry. Located at Lock 33 on the C&O Canal, the building is often mistaken for a lock house. A wooden structure attached to the building housed the Salty Dog Tavern, which no longer stands.
During the Civil War, Harper's Ferry was almost impossible to defend, and changed hands 14 times. Confederate artillery commanding the town from Maryland Heights led to the surrender of Union forces there in 1862, but the strategically important town was fought over throughout the war.