Thursday, July 14, 2011

C&O Passenger Depot -Clifton Forge, Virginia 

The Passenger Depot and JD cabin are both reconstructions built to C&O standard architectural drawings of the period. The finishing touches were still being added to the passenger depot the day I was there. In fact, I had to wait for the painters to take down scaffolding before I could take the picture above.

Related Links
The Great American Stations website has an interesting history of the original station at Clifton Forge here.

C&O 614,  a 4-6-4 J class steam locomotive arrived in Clifton Forge in the evening of the day I was there. I was not able to wait, but did manage to catch a glimpse of 614 on my way home as it passed though the small town of Goshen, Virginia. Photos and story here.

For an update on locomotive 614, along with an excellent video/slideshow made during a night shoot of the locomotive in Clifton Forge, go here.

Glenn, over on Riff's Photography Journal, has a nice shot of a vintage C&O passenger train on the tracks along with a brief history of "Chessie" the cat here.



4 comments :

  1. That restoration is very nice. I hope they continue the work on Clifton Forge. It's a history worth preserving.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Robert, I agree. The C&O Historical Society is doing a terrific job of preserving the history of the C&O. I am sure funding is not easy to come by right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wonderful images Edd. I've been enjoying reading about and viewing the photos of the C&O Historical Society.

    Also, a special thanks for the link, I really appreciate it and I'm going to put on facebook, for Western Maryland Photographers Society, a link back to your site for anyone who follows them to view and enjoy your site as well.

    Keep up the good work and thanks... :-)

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.