Monday, July 11, 2011

Chesapeake & Ohio Railway Heritage Center - Clifton Forge, Virginia 

Early in May, I visited the C&O Railway Heritage Center at Clifton Forge, Virginia. Clifton Forge is in the mountains of western Virginia, and was once an important rail center. The C&O Historical Society is headquartered in Clifton Forge, and displays artifacts from the C&O including rolling stock, the original freight house and reconstructions of the passenger station and switching tower.

This week we will be looking at photos from my visit to Clifton Forge, and telling a little about the history of the town.

5 comments :

  1. Great looking photo, your position was just right with the curve of the road and track.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks, Don. I was lucky to be able to stand on a highway bridge which gave me a great elevated vantage point.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nicely done, Edd. I didn't know there was a C&O Heritage Center. The C&O is of a bygone era and you don't see these on the tracks anymore. Well, except for a couple like this one...

    http://www.riffspics.com/2010/12/black-white-photography_15.html

    Keep up the good work. I'm glad I found your site and have been following it... :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for the kind words, Glenn, and thanks for the link--I really enjoyed your post about the C&O and will recommend it to my readers.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looking forward to this series of photos Edd. So much history is disappearing more quickly than it should.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.