Thursday, July 7, 2011

Roadside attraction - Great Smoky Mountains - 1951

In 1951, my mother and father and I, along with my aunt and uncle set out on a road trip to the Great Smoky Mountains. Memories of that trip, hazy impressions really, are among the earliest memories that I have, conjured in part by a handful of snapshots of the trip that came down to me from my aunt.

Interstate highways are a marvelously efficient way to get to where you are going, but you don't see much while sealed in an air-conditioned car, surrounded by trucks at 70 miles-per-hour. 

Before Interstate highways traveling was as much a part of the adventure of a road trip as arriving at a destination. Sometimes, the road was the destination. Progress was slow, but there was plenty to see along the two lane roads lined with small towns and roadside attractions, otherwise known as tourist traps.

In 1951 we loved tourist traps, and were in no hurry. There was no telling what might turn up just down the road a bit.

2 comments :

  1. Bears must have been a favorite attraction back then. My grandmother and her sister were photographed standing next to a large taxidermy-ed bear while on vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. And snakes. Have pictures from this same trip of cages full of snakes. I think little roadside zoos were once quite popular.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.