Tuesday, August 16, 2011

Summer weeds - Greene County, Virginia 

The lake near our home is formed by an earthwork dam. There is a standpipe that drains water under the dam into a pool on the edge of a narrow band of woods. A small creek runs through the trees and into a pasture field.

Friday when I walked across the dam, the narrow meadow between the dam and the tree line was filled with colorful weeds, and so I scrambled down the steep back of the dam and spent a happy half-hour taking pictures in the weeds and ticks and chiggers. It was a wonderfully colorful display; a bright garden tended by Mother Nature with the help of hard-working bees and butterflies.

And chiggers too, looking for a free meal,  but I scrubbed when I got home and only got one bite.

0 comments :

Post a Comment

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.