Friday, August 26, 2011

Tracks and weeds - Charlottesville, Virginia 

Our house is about 30 miles from Mineral, Virginia which was the location of the epicenter of the earthquake earlier this week. We were fortunate that there was no damage to our house or property, but we received a pretty good rattling. I have never experienced anything like it. A friend at work lives in Mineral and his house was damaged: interior walls were cracked, the contents of his cabinets were dumped out on the counter and floor, his chimney fell and one wall of his garage was displaced about 6 inches. Other houses in Mineral suffered similar damage.

We have experienced several aftershocks. A little after 1 am yesterday morning a 4.5 magnitude aftershock woke me up. I understand that aftershocks may persist for several months.

In the meantime, hurricane Irene is bearing down on us. It will be an interesting week-end.

Next week (if we are still here) Photography In Place returns to Montpelier Station to photograph a reenactment of General Samuel McGowan's South Carolinian's encampment during the winter of 1863-64. I hope you will stop by for a visit, and thanks for reading Photography In Place.

4 comments :

  1. I'm seriously starting to wonder whether we will still be here next week ;) Earthquake scared me to death...I'm nervous about no power over the weekend. Ugh.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you never know with a storm this size, but I think the major impacts will be to the east of us. Don't think I would want to be on the Outer Banks right now.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hang in there and see you next week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Don. I just hope we don't get an earthquake in the middle of the hurricane (:o

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.