Tuesday, August 2, 2011

View from the Fairgrounds - Greene County, Virginia 

The Greene County Fairgrounds is a large empty field for most of the year. There is an exhibition hall, a fence and wooden poles with lights. Surrounded by farmland on a long straight stretch of Route 230, it looks a little lonely. There are no other houses or buildings in sight.

It is hot the first week of August and a blue summer haze shrouds the mountains to the west. Preparations for the fair are underway and soon the field will be full of tents and pens and carnival rides. Then  the crowds will come.

Preparations are underway
Next week, the rabbits and goats, the prize-winning tomatoes and jars of family recipe pickles will be gone. The carnival will pack up and move to the next town and the fairgrounds will be empty once again, the days silent and the nights lit only by the stars and moon.

Corn grows right up to the fairground's fence

5 comments :

  1. These are so great. I can't wait to visit the fair tonight. Did you enter photos in the contest? I did...yikes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I do aim to visit the fair one evening this week. My plan is to take my old Pentax MX with the 35mm lens, put a couple of rolls of film in my pocket and see what I can do in black and white. I am not very comfortable shooting around a lot of people so this will be a bit of a challenge.

    Good luck with your entries!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh have fun with it...there should be some wonderful "small town" people shots at the fair! I plan to take a bunch tonight, too. I might force some of my kids' friends to pose for me but I'll probably just take photos of people for next year's photo contests too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was so hoping to make it to Southern Ohio for my hometown county fair. It's this coming week. Loved these photos, reminds me of home . . . No county here in Maine where I'm living. Love the exhibits, crafts and garden entries ;) Enjoy!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Maddy, glad that the photos brought you a memory of home. There is just something about county fairs--the summer would not be the same without them.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for your comment. I take a look at all comments before they are published to catch the occasional spam, so your comment may not appear right away. Thanks for reading Photography In Place.